One of the Forts of the Metaxas line, the Lisse Fort, was built inside the hill that rises on the Kato Nevrokopi plain to the east of the village of Ochyro. The fort was named Lisse from the old name of the village and the village, Ochyro. Names were exchanged. It consists of four groups of arcades (Turtles) along the entire length of the hill, with underground arcades that, in total, exceed 950 meters. Two of the passage complexes communicate with underground passages, while the other two are autonomous defense installations.
The Fort originally had cannons, accommodation and storage facilities, water tanks, generators, armament and positions for military vehicles. The manpower of Lisse Fort consisted of 12 officers and 457 hoplites. Due to the necessary secrecy and the need for camouflage, the Fort’s facilities are inconspicuous and access to many of its entrances is quite difficult. Today, only one Turtle can be visited.
In 1935, shortly before the start of the war, a committee was set up on 2 August to submit a study of cover fortifications to defense operations. The implementation of the project was undertaken by the Administration of the Fortress of Thessaloniki. The construction of the project began with fortifications from Eastern Macedonia on Mount Beles, to Komotini, covering a zone approximately 300 km long, not including the extensions of anti-tank zones and other additional fortifications that reached as far as the Evros River. The main purpose of the construction of this fortified line was simply the continuous defense and the repulsion of a sudden enemy attack while ensuring the cover of expeditionary army units.
It appears that the project was designed to be of a temporary defensive nature only, affording valuable preparation time to the main expeditionary forces which would then more effectively deal with the enemy. In 1936, the Commission’s work was terminated while an order was given for the immediate start of construction work for the Rupel, Karatas, Maliaga, Perithori, Lisse and Pyramidoid forts.
Today the Fort functions as a museum with the exhibition program having four main features: The fort itself, at least in the part that can be visited called “Turtle”. Period material objects. Reproductions and constructions. Digital applications. At the reception one can register for the ‘Follow the Fox’ game. In the same space there are also four exhibition points.